Monday, February 18, 2008

Luigi Pirandello, playwright: "A man will die, a writer, the instrument of creation: but what he has created will never die!"

1. A theme in a play is a pretty important part of the piece itself. I personally don’t think that a play necessarily needs to express an idea. Most of the pieces of literature that i have read usually have an obvious theme or main idea to it. People should be able to get something out of the piece that they are reading and should get a message or idea from it. Without a theme or plot, it turns into just a bunch of writing without a destination or ending. I can also see where a writer would not see it necessary to have a theme because of their style of writing or what the piece is about. It may just not go well with the writer’s style.

2. A theme that I came up with was some sort of journey, where the main character of the play would have some destination or objective to complete by the ending. I didn’t really use that idea in my play but it seemed like a good idea at the time. If I could rewrite my play i would have it be more of a political issue, more in depth with how schools are based upon rank and placement to get into a good school. It isn’t really as important to me because I don’t care about my rank or placement, but I do know a lot of other kids who are obsessed with it and how they do on their ACT.

3. The one conflict that I wrote about in my play was the main character was on a date and was keeping his true occupation under the table and from his date. Some other ideas that I came up with for conflicts were as a said before, issues dealing with schools and colleges. Another idea that I had was a character that had to find some way to get to work. I don’t know why that, it just seemed an easy conflict to write about.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Mitch, I could not disagree with you anymore regarding your thoughts on theme. If a novel or play doesn't have a theme, it has no point. Plain and simple, it would be like rambling on about nothing. It could be entertaining, but the reader would really benefit none.