Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I am a Thinker, and I Think Thinks

1. Reading is definitely a crucial part of writing. If a piece of writing cant be read easily or has no train of thought, it is just some words put together, like this blog post. Reading for a writer is almost the gateway towards future papers or essays to be written. Without reading there would be no base or platform to move off of to write anything. Books, articles, and essays contain hints and helpful information for ideas to write about. The role of reading is essential to being a good writer. It’s a way for writers to sculpt and manipulate their form and style of writing.

2. There are many things in this world that don’t go as planned. Especially the way we want it to. One main topic that concerns me is how important a few tests can be on your future. I.E. the ACT and the SAT. Some parents and students take these tests ridiculously far. I admit I took the test but could have cared less what I got. Why should a test or some other form of acceptance be the only way to get into a top school? What I don’t comprehend is where in Edina, if you do well on your ACT or SAT, you still have to rank at a specific spot in the whole class to get into some colleges. For instance, my friend Keith, got into some school which I can’t recall, but didn’t get accepted because of his class rank. Why should a rank be a factor of what school you get into?

3.A piece of art, which in this case is a movie, that greatly inspired me was this movie called “Pay It Forward”. I saw it a long time ago in theaters and after seeing this movie I looked at the way I treated people a little different. The movie was about this kid who creates this formula of sorts that instead of getting things for good deeds, all you do is continue to do good things. Hence the title pay it forward. And the movie goes on about how this kid meets this teacher who has been burned when he was a child by his dad and his teacher ends up dating the kid’s mom. But the main idea, this movie gave me a general idea of how you should treat people. So from time to time I tend to think about just the title of the movie and think about things before I say them. I’m generally a nice guy, but everyone has their moments.

No comments: